NAT Traversal Implementation

Coordinator
Apr 3, 2010 at 11:04 AM

As a developer of game, I came across a idea to implement the direct connection between two Clients rather than depending on Server for Game play. It does that for LAN game and for Internet Game, but on Internet Game, vsChessMania fails as It doesn't go beyond NAT router and hence direct connection is not possible for most user.

I will be setting a TURN server and create a Client in game to bypass NAT traversal problem. We have a choice to use Microsoft PeerToPeer which is not yet fully implemented for Windows XP but for latest OS and custom/third party NAT traversal. I am looking to go with third party as of now. Any thoughts are welcomed. I will close this thread once I start the work on same. Meanwhile I am collecting opinions. If any :).

Coordinator
Apr 25, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Okay, Now I have two method to implement the NAT Traversal in game.

1. Microsoft's PeerToPeer which works fine on Windows Vista Onwards if we use .NET Framework 4.0

2. PWNAT style handshake that also does the NAT traversal.

I am more inclined towards PWNAT implementation now. Let see when I can sit to work on this.

Coordinator
May 16, 2010 at 6:52 AM

Well I idea for Pwnat implementation is dropped now. PwNAt doesn't work on 64bit machine.